Skip to Main Content


Many burns affect only the skin, and are superficial (like a sunburn). Burns that affect deeper tissue are classed as partial-thickness (wet, painful, pink or red) or full-thickness (dry, no pain, grey/brownish, may look like normal skin but without sensation) depending on the depth. All burns may be painful, and it is often the superficial and partial-thickness ones that are the most painful.

Burning charcoal

A burn can be caused by:

  • Dry heat: for example, fire.
  • Hot fluids (scalds): for example, hot shower, steam, hot oil.
  • Chemical (acid, alkaline): for example, hydrochloric acid, sulphuric acid, caustic soda, cement.
  • Electrical: low voltage for example, flash or high voltage for example, power lines.
  • Radiation: for example, sunburn, sun lamps.

People with diabetes have reduced sensation in their feet and so are susceptible to scalds and thermal injuries there.

Consulting a healthcare provider

If the partial-thickness burn is bigger than your hand (palm and fingers) or located on hand, armpit, genital, face, neck, hollow of the knee or feet, you should always seek a healthcare professional’s help. All full-thickness (deep) burns should always be taken care of by a doctor.

If the wound gets worse or persists or if there are signs of infection such as redness, swelling, fever, pain or burning, increased drainage, becomes warm to the touch, then consult a health care provider.

$3 off any box of Hospital Series Wound Care dressings

Other Wound Types

All Wound Types

Join our mailing list

Receive the latest information on product offerings, receive coupons, news and more at home care tips.

Share this page on social media

Contact us
Select market

Select your market